The Northern Beaches Hospital Mental Health Service offers consumers a personalised treatment program, and fresh and comfortable surrounds, to assist recovery and optimal wellbeing.
Our Mental Health Service currently provides 61 beds across 4 specialised wards:
- A 20-bed ward for private health care admissions.
- A 20-bed ward for public health care admissions.
- A 15-bed ward for the care of older people (65-years and over).
- A 6-bed ward for short stay crisis mental health admissions.
Our therapy program is a unique combination of evidence-based therapies. It is predominantly founded upon the principles of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT). Elements of other therapies are also utilised to facilitate better outcomes for people, such as Acceptance and Commitment therapy (ACT), Solution Focused Therapy, and CBT-based Mindfulness.
The aims of the therapy program are to:
- provide a safe environment where you are listened to and treated with respect
- help you understand the nature of your mental illness/issues
- help you develop effective coping skills to manage and reduce your symptoms
- educate you, and your significant others, in the recovery process
- encourage lifestyle changes to help you maintain a more balanced and healthy approach to life
- help you return to an optimal level of functioning.
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) is a non-invasive form of brain stimulation that can be used to treat depression and other psychiatric disorders. In treating depression, TMS may be used when patients have not responded to antidepressant medications, have unacceptable side effects to medications or would prefer to try another treatment option. This treatment can be provided either on inpatient or outpatient basis.
For more information about Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), please click HERE.
Your treatment will be tailored to meet your individual needs, and managed across a number of clinical, allied health, and support teams.
The following professionals will work together to best promote your recovery:
- General Medicine Doctors
- Specialists Psychiatric Nurses
- Social Workers
- Occupational Therapists
- Art Therapists
- Peer Support Staff
- Volunteer Consumer Consultants
Your care will take several different forms - including one-to-one and group therapies, adjunct creative/recreational activities, and personalised services - to provide an integrated treatment approach. We offer the following:
- A personal nurse
- Group psychotherapy
- Individual psychotherapy
- Art therapy
- Relaxation training
- Exercise/yoga/Pilates classes
- Discharge planning
- Individual peer staff support
- Community services connection and introduction for post-discharge care
- Day group therapy programs for ongoing care upon discharge:
- Mood Program
- Anxiety Program
- Alcohol and Other Drug Program
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy 12-month program
The wards are fresh, new and comfortable. The majority of our rooms are single (non-shared) and appointed with a private en suite. Located on the upper levels of the Hospital, every window offers sweeping views of the Northern Beaches district.
The ward facilities include:
- coffee machines
- an outside sitting area
- large flat screen televisions
- a group therapy room
- a private dining area
- a laundry room.
If you would like to make a referral to the Mental Health Service, please contact our Mental Health Intake Clinician:
Monday - Friday 8.30am – 4.30pm
Tel: 9105 5340
Fax: 9105 5168
We welcome visiting loved-ones and friends. Visiting hours differ on each ward:
Level 3 Short Stay Unit (short term emergency care):
Monday to Friday 10:00 to 15:00 and 17:00 to 20:00
Ward 3B (private ward):
Monday to Friday 16:30 to 20:00
Saturdays 12:00 to 20:00
Sundays 10.00 to 20:00
Ward 3C (public ward):
Monday to Friday 10:00 to 13:00 and 15:00 to 20:00
Ward 3D (older person's ward):
Monday to Friday 10:00 to 13:00 and 15:00 to 20:00
If you want to find out the best time to visit or have any questions relating to visiting at other times, please call the Ward Clerk for further information:
- Private Ward: 9105 5345
- Public Ward: 9105 5305 / 9105 5301
- Older Persons' Ward: 9105 5380 / 9105 5382
- Emergency Care Ward: 9105 5377 / 9105 5376
To enquire about the Mental Health Service, feel free to call us on 9105 5340.
For information on the Day Group Therapy programs, please call 9105 5340.
Northern Beaches Hospital does not provide non-urgent mental health assessments.
In an emergency, please call Triple Zero (000) or alternatively attend our emergency department where an emergency mental health clinician will be available to conduct an assessment, provide immediate support and facilitate transfer of care as clinically indicated.
We work in close partnership with Northern Beaches Community Mental Health Services (adult, older person and child/youth) located at Brookvale Community Health Centre.
Please call the Mental Health Line 1800 011 511 to speak to a mental health clinician who will assess the urgency of the call, and provide recommendations about follow up treatment and referral options. This phone line is staffed 24/7.
- The Northern Beaches Hospital is located at 105 Frenchs Forest Road (West) Frenchs Forest NSW 2086.
- The Mental Health Service is located on Level 3 of the Hospital. Follow the signs from the main entrance or ask at the Concierge desk.
- Click on our WayFinder Map to view the Hospital grounds.
- Get directions from your location with the Site Locator.