The Transit Lounge is a comfortable space for all patients to rest and prepare for their discharge from hospital. It accommodates all patients - public and private - who are going home or being transported to another facility.
The Transit Lounge is a service unique to many hospitals. Importantly, it helps fulfil the promise of patient-centred care as it:
- provides patients with a high-level of focused pre-discharge care
- reduces relapse and the worsening of conditions
- supports the transition home – physically, emotionally and procedurally
- assists with patient flow in the hospital, freeing up new beds
- takes discharge processing off the wards and off busy clinicians.
- You will be transferred from your ward (or the Short Stay area in Emergency) to the Transit Lounge.
- Experienced nursing staff will facilitate your discharge. Specifically, they will:
- go through your medications and pain management plans with you
- ensure you have necessary referrals, doctor’s letters and appointments
- provide you with additional education and information.
- They will also help you arrange your transport.
- Comfortable beds and recliners
- Meals and refreshments
- TV / entertainment package
- Reading materials
If you are collecting a patient from the Transit Lounge, there’s no need to park and come inside – we have a short-term pick-up bay.
Patients will be advised to text/ring you just prior to their discharge. We don’t have an intercom, but feel free to phone us on 9105 5013 or 9105 5014 upon arrival.
- The Northern Beaches Hospital is located at 105 Frenchs Forest Road (West) Frenchs Forest NSW 2086.
- The Transit Lounge is located on the Hospital’s South side on Wilsonia Road:
- Drive past main entrance, past the taxi sign, and through the ‘No Entry’ sign.
- Turn left at the end of the building and follow the signs to the Transit Lounge.
- Pull up outside in the allocated short-term parking.
- Click on our WayFinder Map to view the Hospital grounds.
- Get directions from your location with the Site Locator.
Hours: 8:30am to 6:00pm, Monday to Friday
Telephone: 9105 5013/5014