The facilities were designed, built and fitted to an exceptionally high standard in order to provide patients with a pleasant environment, whilst also meeting the requirements for an acute mental health service.
Treatment and care follows these principles:
- consumer-centred care with active involvement from family and carers as appropriate
- an unrestrictive, safe environment
- a multidisciplinary approach to interventions, with holistic and self-care where possible
- ongoing support through community services
- involuntary and voluntary admissions.
There are four units that make up the inpatient Mental Health service:
- A 20-bed private acute mental health ward, including a four-bed High Dependency Unit
- A 20-bed public acute mental health ward including a four-bed High Dependency Unit
- A 15-bed ward for the care of older people (65 years and over), including a four-bed High Dependency Unit
- A six-bed short stay acute unit.
The acute adult units and the older persons unit are all single rooms with en suites. All units have outdoor courtyards.