The Northern Beaches Aged Care department has three teams which assess, diagnose, and treat older and more complex patients
(usually 80-years and over).
The teams specialise in providing support for:
- major geriatric syndromes, such as dementia, delirium, frailty and falls
- end-of-life care
- older and more complex surgical patients.
The Aged Care service is comprehensive, and includes the following:
- Inpatient medical geriatric and surgical geriatric care for all public patients and for private patients as needed.
- An inpatient consultation service for all patients, on request.
- The Aged Service Emergency Team to assist the Emergency Department with frail, older patients.
- A Clinical Nurse Consultant to provide hospital-wide expertise in geriatric syndromes.
- Outpatient clinics for memory, falls, and geriatric evaluation.
- Rehabilitation services at Mona Vale Hospital.
- Outreach clinics at Brookvale Community Centre.
The clinical members of the Aged Care team are:
- Dr Helen Gillespie, Head of Department
- Dr Lyndal Newton
- Dr Rachael Oliver-Redgate
- Dr Ming Loh
- Annie Chui, Clinical Nursing Consultant
The on-call geriatrician can be contacted via the Hospital switchboard on 9105 5000.